“Crowntainer” was a trademark by the
Crown Cork and Seal Company that was registered with the US Patent
Office & Trademark Office (USPTO). The early Crowntainer cans carried a
statement stating that the patent had been registered.
REG'D U.S. PAT. OFF.
appeared on Crowntainers until their patent was finally approved on
September 15, 1945. After that date, the following patent statement
appeared on all crowntainers.
REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. NO. 366873
DESIGN PATENT NO. 109311
The inventors of
the crowntainers were Amos Calleson and his son Edgar A. Calleson from
Merrick, New York. The two worked for the Crown Cork & Seal
Company of Baltimore, Maryland. They filed a design patent
application for a new and original “Metal Bottle” with the United
States Patent Office on June 23, 1937 and was assigned design patent
number 109,311. They also filed a patent application for their “Container”
on May 13, 1940 and was assigned patent number 2,384,810.
In their patent
application, they made 35 claims of innovation and/or improvements to
“metal receptacles of the can type” for which they sought patent
protection. Some of the highlights of their patent application
They created a
metal container that did not have the conventional side and top seams.
This made the container strong, with a nice appearance, and was capable
of simple and cheap production.
Their container had
just two parts: (1) the body with an integral top, and (2) the bottom.
The mouth of the
can, used for filling and pouring, was design to be sealed by a crimped
cap known as a “crown”.
was to be able to better decorate the can since the entire surface of
the can could be painted. With conventional tin cans, the seams
and areas next to the seams could not be painted so that the seams could
be soldered without ruining the paint.
The two-piece steel
construction, without seams, made the container incredibly strong and
could withstand the high heat and pressure for the sterilization and
pasteurizing process without causing leaks or bulging the shape of the
more to come...